To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The Retreat will host its annual All Against Abuse gala this Saturday, June 9, from 6:30 to 11 PM at The Muses in Southampton.Since the gala’s beginning in 1996, artists and celebrities have crafted one-of-a-kind, hand-painted ceramic platters as the signature pieces of this long beloved event. Over the course of two decades, this gala has raised more than $2.5 million through generous donations that aid in the safety and support of those suffering from domestic violence.All Against Abuse board member Ellie Kurrus started as a volunteer for The Retreat in 2014 by answering its 24-hour hotline. She vividly remembers her first call. “The victim had just escaped from being barricaded in her room without a cell phone. She was able to squeeze through barred windows, climb down the fire escape, and get to the safety of the police, who referred her to The Retreat. I remember thinking, ‘No one should have to live like this!’”That single call solidified her support for the organization and its goals to raise funds to help as many victims as possible. “Abuse comes in all forms. Recognizing it and getting help is essential for you and your family’s safety and future. The Retreat is there to help you break the cycle and heal,” she noted.The Retreat was started in 1987 as a local non-profit supporting the survivors of abuse and assault across the East End. Its programs have grown to include a residential shelter for adults and children, counseling, a 24-hour hotline, in-school violence prevention education program in all local schools, and legal advocacy for all victims, free of charge.Ann Chwatsky was previously involved in the gala’s art auction component and is a former member of the board. She still serves on the All Against Abuse committee. She described a particular painting, “The artist, April Gornik, has been a supporter of our art auction part of the gala for many years, and that is so appreciated. This year, she has given us a beautiful print — tones of blues that evoke land masses and oceans,” Chwatsky said.This year’s gala honorees are Joy Behar, co-host of ABC News’s “The View,” and Emmy Award-winning producer, Robin Hommel-Tenenbaum. It will also feature author and national advocate, Leslie Morgan Steiner.“Robin and I are grateful we can use our platforms to shine a light on domestic violence and support The Retreat’s life-changing work. What this organization does to help the brave individuals and families heal is deeply touching. We remain inspired to share the mission and needs of The Retreat and celebrate their clients’ resilience,” explained Behar.Steiner is a survivor of domestic violence. At the young age of 22, the Harvard graduate found herself in a four-year marriage to a Wall Street banker who held loaded guns to her head and yanked car keys out of the ignition as she drove on the highway. Scared for her life, she realized, above anything else, she needed a safe haven and legal representation.“[I needed] assurance that it wasn’t my fault that I had fallen in love with a deeply troubled, abusive man. My friends and family couldn’t give me that, despite their love,” Steiner said.“So, in my time of greatest need, I turned to strangers in the domestic violence community for support and guidance. The Retreat gives the East End’s abuse survivors everything they need to transform their lives at no charge and without any judgment. I’m proud to tell my story at the All Against Abuse event to raise much needed awareness and money to benefit the Retreat’s important and life-changing programs,” Steiner added.This year’s Artist Honor Roll includes April Gornik, Barbara Maslen, Barry Kreiswirth and Lisa Allen, Dan Rizzie, Jack Youngerman, Jill Musnicki, Justin Greenwald, Miles Jaffe, Peter Dayton, Toni Toss, Dan Welden, and Lynn Savarese.Cocktail music will be provided by The John Ludlow Duo featuring Steve Nelson, catering by Art of Eating, and after dinner dancing by East End Entertainment. This year’s auctioneer is CK Swett.The Muses is located at 111 Saint Andrews Road, Southampton. The Retreat is located at 13 Goodfriend Drive, East Hampton. Call 631-329-4398 or visit online at www.theretreatinc.org.@NikkiOnTheDailyNicole@indyeastend.com Share
Pat Bulcock, the managing director of quick coupler and tiltrotator manufacturer Steelwrist UK, has said that the company will continue to operate for as long as the Coronavirus situation allows.Pat said: “We are fortunate that our industry is an incredibly strong and a welcoming one, full of resilient people that can make good times out of bad.”Operations at Steelwrist UK have so far been unaffected by the Coronavirus outbreak. The company is continuing to follow advice from both the United Kingdom’s government and Public Health England, and will make the necessary adjustments to its business practices as the situation develops, in order to protect its staff and customers.Pat added that his thoughts were with those affected, both directly and indirectly, by the Covid-19 outbreak.He said: “If you have some good heart-warming stories or stories that make you smile please share, it might make someone else’s day a little easier.” #*#*Show Fullscreen*#*#
Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
The Law Society and Bar Council have strongly opposed proposals to impose a duty on barristers to disclose clients’ previous convictions. Chancery Lane described as ‘misguided’ a Bar Standards Board suggestion that a barrister should advise a client that they must cease to act if the client refuses consent to inform the prosecution about previous convictions. Responding to a BSB consultation on its new handbook, the Society said the change would undermine lawyer/client trust and the duty of privilege and confidentiality. It said the proposal would place the BSB code at odds with that of solicitors in a key area where the rules applying to all advocates need to be consistent. Neither advocates nor clients have a duty to disclose previous convictions, the Society stated. However, it noted that in practice a defence advocate’s failure to cite their client’s good character in mitigation should alert the prosecution of the need to check the antecedence. The Bar Council said the change ‘may appear superficially attractive’, but on closer examination is ‘demonstrably inappropriate’ in an adversarial process. It said: ‘It should be no part of the duty of defence counsel to introduce material that is damaging to his client’s interests.’ To require such action, it said, would undermine the client’s confidence in counsel’s independence and discourage frank and open discussion. The Bar Council argued: ‘It is the duty of the prosecution properly to research and accurately to present to the court the previous convictions of the accused.’ It added that the public interest is best met by the prosecution discharging its obligation properly.
It’s an ill wind that blows nobody any good; a conclusion that might be drawn from early financial results posted by the top-ranking cohort of UK law firms. Notwithstanding a flatlining economy, the early filers for 2011/12 are generally reporting decent numbers. Average profit per equity partner in the top 100 is up 6% so far and turnover is also 6% higher (see the Gazette’s live Profit Tracker). After the pain comes the gain - though the halcyon days of the pre-crash peak remain distant for some. It’s a mixed picture. The magic circle’s top-line numbers are, on the face of it, (comparatively) modest; but in the context of global mergers and acquisitions activity which hit its lowest level in over seven years, they don’t seem too bad at all. The law firm reporting season is a curious cat-and-mouse game for the media, with some firms choosing to report only revenue figures (at least initially). These bald numbers don’t tell you much. Then there is the bland and cliched managing partner’s statement, which is too often a meaningless amalgam of boilerplate and windy aspiration. It raises a wry smile too that relatively few firms post their results on their websites. Why so coy? But then perhaps it is naive to expect more. We are talking about owner-managed businesses, after all. Nobody’s business but theirs?
MANNHEIM Transport has started trials with on-board energy saving equipment developed by Bombardier. A light rail vehicle operated by MVV Verkehr AG has been fitted with the Mitrac Energy Saver, which captures regenerated braking energy and recycles it for use in subsequent acceleration. Put into revenue operation on September 5, the vehicle is being used to gather experience with the equipment in regular use.Unlike other energy storage methods being examined in Germany and the UK, the Mitrac equipment does not rely on mechanical flywheel storage. Instead, each module comprises several hundred electric cells. As well as recycling braking energy, a pair of storage units could power a vehicle for up to 1 km in the event of any loss of external power supply. According to the supplier, initial tests with the prototype have indicated that equipping the entire fleet would reduce the operator’s overall energy consumption by around 30%, and the peak requirement by up to 50%. Bombardier Transportation, GermanyReader Enquiry Number: 141
Sharing is caring! Share Share Share Tweet EducationLocalNewsSecondaryTertiary Commendation for Sagicor Visionaries Challenge participants by: Dominica Vibes News - December 16, 2014 236 Views no discussions Minister of Education; Petter Saint JeanParticipants of the Sagicor Visionaries Challenge have been commended by Education Minister Petter Saint Jean for the wonderful display of their scientific, innovative and creative abilities.Thirty-five (35) projects from various Secondary Schools and the Dominica State College were displayed at the Stadium yesterday as part of the national competition of the Sagicor Visionaries Challenge.The students were encouraged to develop a project with the use of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).Jeaselle Blaize of the St Martin Secondary School won the competition while the Isaiah Thomas Secondary placed second and the Dominica State College third.“I believe that our students have participated in this most worthwhile exercise and I really hope that this will inspire you to continue in the various fields of innovation and technology.”Winning project dubbed ‘Techno Gardeners’ done by Jeaselle Blaize of the St Martin Secondary SchoolMinister Saint Jean also thanked Sagicor for affording the students “the valuable opportunity to explore and to harness their potentials as budding scientists, mathematicians and engenderers”.He stated further that scientific and technological innovations have become increasingly important as “we face the challenges of globalization and a knowledge based economy”.“It is therefore imperative that you carve for yourselves a comfortable niche in the competitive environment and in so doing, you students need to develop your capabilities in science and technology, engineering and mathematics as the demand for skilled workers in those areas is closely linked.”Minister Saint Jean stated that his Ministry supports the view of Sagicor, the Caribbean Science Foundation and The Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) that Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) must be given priority within school’s curriculum.“We agree that STEM education will assist us to create critical thinkers, increase science literacy and enable and inspire the next generation of innovators”.“If we expect our student to become the next innovators of tomorrow we must offer them a solid knowledge base in STEM subjects today,” Mr Saint Jean continued.He added that the Sagicor project is making a significant stride in promoting the importance of STEM within our secondary schools.“The Ministry of Education is therefore committed to reinforcing the interest through continued focus on science and education at our schools,” the Minster said.
The threat of Hurricane Florence is raising concerns regarding North Carolina’s cotton crop. For dairy farmers, that translates into what impact the storm will have on cottonseed supplies and prices. Dave NatzkeEditorProgressive DairymanEmail Dave Natzkedave@progressivepublish.com As of Thursday morning, Sept. 13, the storm had been downgraded to a Category 2 and was expected to reach the coasts of North Carolina and South Carolina overnight or Friday.advertisementadvertisementMost of the major damage from a hurricane is felt on the northern edge of the storm, and North Carolina’s major cotton-growing areas will feel the full brunt of Florence, according to Nigel Adcock with Cottonseed LLCnadcock@cottonseedllc.com. Of the 17 major cotton-producing states, North Carolina ranks seventh in terms of acreage.The concern with this slow-moving storm is that 19 to 21 inches of rain could fall on those cotton regions. Eastern-most gins and other coastal areas will be unable to shed any of that water from fields due to their flatness and proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.In this week’s USDA National Ag Statistics Service (NASS) crop progress report, released prior to the onset of the storm, nearly two-thirds of North Carolina’s cotton crop had been rated good to excellent. And, about 43 percent of the crop’s cotton bolls were open, well ahead of the 2013-17 average. It is unlikely any of this cotton will be salvageable if the current storm predictions remain in place, Adcock said.“We expect significant loss to a large portion of the North Carolina crop,” Adcock said. “The majority of the seed harvested in this area ends up either being exported or finds its way into New York, Pennsylvania or Ohio. It’s possible with a reduced supply that prices may be impacted for dairies in those areas who intend to feed cottonseed as part of their ration.”Cottonseed bids and offers for Cordele South, South Carolina, Kinston North and Rocky Mount have been pulled until the storm has passed. The mid-South also has very few bids and offers to report so far this week, as traders wait to see the outcomes from Hurricane Florence and how it may impact the spreads between the markets.advertisementOutside of the Carolinas, Tropical Storm Gordon’s track over the cotton-growing areas of northeast Arkansas and western Tennessee last week caused little or no damage, “other than to push back defoliation by seven to 10 days,” Adcock said. The added moisture was also welcomed by growers with later planted fields.Overall, the U.S. cotton crop condition prior to Hurricane Florence remained little changed from the previous week: 44 percent of the crop remains in poor or very poor condition, while 38 percent is in good or excellent condition.There was better news in the USDA’s September Crop Production report, although the estimates were prepared prior to Hurricane Florence. The USDA raised cottonseed harvest projections to 6.156 million tons, up 135,000 tons from August’s outlook.North Carolina produced an estimated 217,000 tons of cottonseed in 2017. Depending on storm-related losses, the 2018 U.S. cottonseed harvest still has the potential to be the second-largest this decade.
Mini-Circuits has partnered with Virginia Diodes to introduce a new line of waveguide bandpass filters for millimeter wave applications. The initial offering includes 7 bandpass filter models with passbands spanning 27 to 86 GHz. The filters will incorporate standard WR-12 through WR-28 waveguide interfaces and provide very low insertion loss (1 dB typ.) with high stopband attenuation (40 dB typ.). These new models add waveguide capability to Mini-Circuits’ broad portfolio of filter technologies and continue the expansion of their offering into the millimeter wave bands to support customers developing next-generation wireless products.Waveguide filters are now available from stock on the Mini-Circuits website or through local authorized Mini-Circuits sales representative. Click here to learn more about these filters.